Here are some important information about the newly elected President of the senate, Ahmed Lawan, you don’t know about.
Ahmad Lawan was elected and sworn in as the Senate president of Nigeria on Tuesday, June 11 when the Ninth National Assembly was inaugurated with 79 votes to beat Senator Ali Ndume with 28 votes.
Here are seven quick facts to know about him:
1. He became a Senator in 2007 and was the immediate Senate Leader of the 8th Assembly.
2. He is the most experienced Senator in the ranks of the All Progressive Congress (APC) having been elected for fourth successive term.
3. Lawan was born in 1959.
4. In 2008, he was a member of the National Assembly’s Joint Committee on Constitution Review.
5. In 2009, as chairman of the Senate committee on Public Accounts, Lawan initiated and sponsored the Desertification Control Commission Bill.
6. He received a bachelor’s degree in Geography from the University of Maiduguri, a Masters degree in Remote Sensing from Ahmadu Bello University and a Doctorate degree in Remote Sensing/GIS from Cranfield University, UK. He did his National Youth Service Corps Programme in Benue State.
7. He was elected a member of the House of Representatives in 19.